Well, last night I witnessed something I never thought I'd see. We sat down for dinner and Xina had a bowl of baby food mix of turkey, mash potatoes and gravy, some pediasure in the sippy cup, and some yogurt.
Amelia proceeded to eat about 10 bites of turkey and taters, drink half her sippy cup, and for desert put down about 8 bites of yogurt. Xina also says, "Clap if you want more", and AE would clap and open her mouth for another bite. AE also likes to grab her sippy cup and drink it herself.
The scene was awesome to see, and I won't deny tearing up as I watched. It's the first time I've ever witnessed her eat more than two bites of anything, and the first time I've seen her react to a question or phrase and seen evidence of her knowing what she was doing.
Xina's said she does some of this, but AE has never done this in front of me before. During the day yesterday, AE drank all of her sippy cup and didn't need any G-tube food at all.
We're very excited about this sudden want to eat. Amelia's oral therapists have been good, but the real credit goes to Xina, who has worked constantly with Amelia and has not gotten discouraged by the lack of noticable effect she was having... until recently. Thank you Xina.
4 comments:
I have truly enjoyed reading all of your most recent posts. Amelia seems to be flourishing and reaching milestones at a very rapid pace now. I credit you both with being so patient, loving, and willing to do whatever it takes for her. She is so lucky! Bless you all!
Kathy Wimberly
Making progress by leaps and bounds! Way to go, Amelia! I know this has got to be a huge thrill and very gratifying for you.
Marie Grip
What exciting news! I think it was the Cool Whip that did it! No, just your patience and constant interaction with all that's good! (But I'll bring a whole bucket of it next time, just in case.) GMom
Congratulations on all of the strides. Awesome job! bettina hebert
Post a Comment