Thursday, April 28, 2011

Swinging into Spring

It has been busy around here since Amelia has been off of her oxygen during the day. The reason I have slacked off so much on blog entries is that I dropped my laptop about a month ago and pretty much destroyed it. I am still working on getting all my files off, but it has made me a lot less portable.

As you can imagine, now that she no longer has a big 10 lbs. weight wrapped around her head and attached to her nose, she has been exploring her environment and going crazy. She plays in the dog's food and water, sticks her head out of the dog's door, opens and shuts cabinets, pulls up on the TV stand and smacks the TV, clears any pesky papers piling up on end tables and also likes to try to drink from unattended water glasses and coffee cups. She does all this with glee. She crawls super fast now and is difficult to chase after. She is starting to slim down and so am I! In therapy we have been working on standing still in one place and also climbing the stairs. It has been suggested that we get a climbing toy for her to help her with her development. We went to the park last week to swing and slide and she had a great time. She seemed very interested in the eating wood chips though.


Here comes trouble.

Last weekend we went to Brenham to go to the Antique Rose Emporium. I had some specific roses that I wanted to plant in our garden so we trekked up there to pick them up. First, based on a recommendation, we went to a 50s diner at the Brenham airport. It is a private airport and people fly in just to have a burger there. While we waited on the front porch for a table we watched the planes take off and land. Amelia seemed enamored with a little girl who was sitting on the same seat beside her. She reached out and leaned on her and put her arm around her waist. With Amelia's other hand she was grabbing for the little girl's patent leather purse! Typical girl who likes shiny things, I guess, but I am not sure where she developed her smooth pickpocket skills.


At the 50s diner in Brenham. I think this was after Todd spilled his water, but before Amelia spilled it for him a second time. That poor waitress.


Pretending to be an airplane with Daddy.


Maybe she will be another Amelia who flies!


Stopping to smell the roses.


You look mahvalous! Mwah, darlings.

She has been jibber jabbering a lot more. She has two sounds that she likes to repeat over and over. They sound like ja-a and the other is ow-wah-o-wah-o-wah. I have been working, working, working on the word baby and she has said it several times now. I have also had a witness that she said "bye, bye" and tried to say "ball." The therapist has some video (on her phone) of her imitating words and sounds with me, but she hasn't figured out how to upload it where I can download it yet, so stay tuned on that one.

In occupational and developmental therapy we have been working on putting puzzle pieces in the puzzle, putting shapes in the shape sorter, stacking cups, and pretending to feed, rock, kiss and hug her baby doll. On the food front, she has been taking pretty good quantities of pediasure in a sippy cup. On a day when I am really working with her, I can get her to drink almost a whole cup throughout the day. So this is less volume we have to tube feed her. I mixed up some mashed potatoes and gravy and she still really likes it a lot.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Second pictuuuuurrrreee... Oh, there is something about that child in pigtails that just fills me with glee. And I cracked up at her pickpocketing. I knew she looked just a bit too innocent! ;)

Climbing stairs! Helping clean up piles of paper! Bwahaha. <3

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! She does look quite marvelous in pigtails. It's good to hear that she's eating more regular foods now. Did she improve with leaps and bounds after the Mobile trip as she has in the past? -RLC

Post a Comment