Tuesday, January 15, 2013

So Long, Farewell

Waiting for Dr. Moquera to come in to examine me.
Can you believe what he just said, Mom?

He said I don't ever have to come back for an appointment again?
Yippee! No more pulmonology appointments!
 
This deserves a celebratory sassy arm!

 
Long day. I can rest easy now.
Amelia had her last scheduled pulmonology appointment in December. He told us that as long as she remains healthy there is no need for us to see him any more! Our baby who had blood draining in her lungs for weeks, had a PDA ligation, was on a respirator that scarred her lungs for 3 months, struggled to get off the respirator without steroid intervention, was on C-Pap for 3 months, required three types of diuretics to keep her lungs dry, was on supplemental oxygen for over year, and had pulmonary hypertension --- can breathe on her own, shows no signs of asthma or wheezing or diminished lung capacity when exerting herself. When I recall the monthly shots she needed every month to protect her lungs during RSV season for two years and her return trip to the hospital for several days over a common cold -- I am amazed. It is overwhelming to think about how fragile and precarious her life was due to her immature and scarred lungs. And even more overwhelming to realize that she has made it to the other side healthy and happy. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment