Friday, October 21, 2011

Be True to Your School - or at least don't cry about it

It's been a while, so here's an update. Amelia seems to be adjusting to school. The first few visits, she cried as soon as she realized what was going on, when Xina left her at the school, and then off and on during the day. One day when Xina picked her up in the afternoon, she even swatted angrily at Xina, not happy to be left behind. We had an open house to meet the teacher, see the little art works (which, since AE is a month behind, was few). I think us being in the classroom while AE played that night helped her adjust a lot. Tuesday, Xina was able to stymie any tears with a quick redirection, and AE apparently never cried during the rest of the day.

Accoring to the teacher, AE is adapting to the other children and becoming more involved with play time and the lessons they are doing - she is more proactive with the toys available to play - even climbing upon the slide herself. The assistant nun was also very impressed how good AE was in the church when they took the kids to chapel.

This past Thursday AE and Xina had a field trip with the other kids and parents in her class to Dewberry Farms, which has slides, play activities, a petting zoo, goats to watch, a pumpkin patch and hayride. Xina can go into more detail. I do know AE got on a big slide with mommy and loved it. Several times.

AE's new occupational therapist and her vision therapist visted the school to take in the lay of the land and see how AE was adapting, and they were very pleased with her performance and with what the school has to offer her, so we are very happy to hear that. So school is going well, and appears to be a permanent thing. Xina also likes the OT a lot.

At home, she is walking much better these days, though she does have a tendancy to stumble and get ahead of herself. (The school teacher even asked Xina to write a note that said we know Amelia falls a lot). But AE never cries or gets upset when she falls, just gets back up, touches the grass or ground or what have you, and moves on. Pretty much her MO for the last 2.5 years.

She's nibbling more on crackers and cheetohs and such, though we seemed to have regressed some on the sippy cup and honey bear eating. So progress has been non-existent on the weaning off the g-tube.

AE and I took a trip with my parents to Dallas to see her cousins and my siblings, and she had a very nice time. It's the longest I've been with AE without Xina, but luckily, my 'rents, sister, brother, and 4 cousins all wanted a piece of her and kept her active the whole weekend, so I still didn't have to do a lot. Whew.

Though her next pulmonologist appointment was delayed until November, she's doing awesome without O2 when I test her.

The bed experiment is not going quite as well as the school expeeriment... I can't trust that girl to stay in bed. She has to be really really tired just to sit there... otherwise, she'll crawl out. I decided to continue to use the crib when I walked in to feed her one night and found her sprawled out on the floor - half on carpet, half on bathroom tile, where she apparently collapsed to sleep after deciding she just couldn't go any farther. It was cute, but couldn't have been that comfortable. So, I'll be playing the use of the bed by ear moving forward.

That's about it. We've heard some good news about a couple of AE's NICU friends... yeah Cameron and Jorge II! Keep at it! I hope we hear more good news about some of her other friends soon, and pray for them always.

No comments:

Post a Comment