Amelia started speech therapy last month. She goes two times a week. She had been on a waiting list since January. She has two different therapists because they did not have one person with two spots open. In her evaluation she said a new word: Coffee.
During her first real session with the speech therapist, the therapist used the
PROMPT method. This is used with kids that have neuro and muscular
issues that affect speech -- which is probably Amelia's problem. I have
copied this from a website: The PROMPT System stands for "Prompts for
Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets". It is a dynamic tactile
method of treatment for motor speech disorders which is based on touch
pressure, kinesthetic and proprioceptive cues.
Anyway she tried
to get her to say the word POP during the session and she clammed up and
wouldn't say anything, but the therapist used the backs of her fingers
on Amelia's lips to kind of press them together while saying the word
POP. She did this several times during the session and Amelia would
giggle whenever the therapist would say pop. After that we left, went
to dinner, and then came home. As Todd was putting her to bed, guess
what she said? POP. Very crisply. And she kept saying it about ten
times. Now she says it all the time.
The following week in therapy the therapist tried to get her to say "Yuk!" and she did. She enjoys saying this one a lot and thinks it is funny. I say it to her all the time and wrinkle my nose to let her know not to touch things -- like the trash can which she totally loves to play in. A couple days ago we were watching a TV show with some animals going down a slide and splashing into a pond. One of them was a duck. I said "duck" and she repeated me.
Some other words she says with regularity:
bubble
bye-bye
go
book
dada
whale
She is starting to repeat words if you ask her to. Before she could or would not do it no matter how much you cajoled or begged. I really think this PROMPT method works for her.
5 comments:
That is so thrilling...I can only imagine how blown away he was when she just came out with "Pop". Love reading about her progress!
~Kathy
WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! Now you may never get her to stop-- What joyful noise it will be!! Love to you all!
~Joelle
Could her saying Pop Pop Bear be far behind? Wouldn't your dad be thrilled?
I demonstrated that she could holler for "Dada!" and he would call her back from wherever he was and so now she wanders around the house calling for Todd. It is one of the cutest things ever. we will work on Poppa Bear. She is becoming like a little trained monkey these days. You just show her and she repeats. School is really helping!
This is such an awesome thing to read! I can't wait to visit over Christmas holiday. She's going to be a totally different little person than the last time I saw her.
Post a Comment